Thursday, March 19, 2015

Ravishing Russian Dip and Dark Rye Bread

Dark Rye Bread*

My hands are tied. I must post this. I have no choice. My mom and Alex loved this bread so much they suggested variations of it and my mom told me to hide the leftovers from her 'cause she'd eat them! I have decided that from now on I will use the ninja to process my dough before cooking. It made this bread very smooth, if you can even say that. It was pound-cakey in its texture. It tasted a lot like rye bread because of the caraway seeds, which I was worried would be licorice-y (I hate licorice and anise), but it wasn't. It was a little sweet due to the molasses (which yes, does add a few extra carbs per serving) that is added for color and maybe flavor. Maybe I will half the molasses next time and add some sort of natural coloring agent, because I didn't feel like the hint of sweetness was acceptable for a rye bread. This is, like almost all low carb breads, more eggy and more moist than regular bread. It is very dense and filling.
*Recipe from Linda's Low Carb

Ingredients:
2 1/3 c. almond flour (8 1/2 ounces)
1 tbsp. caraway seeds
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. oil
3 large eggs
1 tbsp. blackstrap molasses
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. +1/4 tsp. white vinegar

Preheat your oven to 350ยบ. Have all of your dry ingredients pre-measured and your wet ingredients handy before starting. Grease an 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" loaf pan. I actually used a silicone bundt pan. Place the following ingredients in a food processor with the chopping blade inserted: almond flour, caraway seeds, onion powder, and salt. Let this dry mixture process for 60 seconds.

Add water and oil and process until it forms a soft dough, about 60 seconds.
Add eggs and molasses and process this mixture until it become a thick batter. 

Scrape up from the bottom with a rubber spatula to make sure that everything is properly blended in and process for another 30-60 seconds.
Add baking soda and white vinegar and process about 60 seconds.

Spread the batter in your prepared baking pan and bake for 35 minutes (bundt pan took 6 minutes less) or until firm to the touch and browned on the top. Remove from the pan and cool on a rack before slicing.

Makes 10 thick slices or 16-18 thin slices
Nutrition:
Per 1/10 Loaf (thick slices): 231 Calories; 20g Fat; 8g Protein; 7.5g Carbohydrate; 3.5g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/16 Loaf (thin slices): 136 Calories; 12g Fat; 5g Protein; 4.5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs

The first time I had Ravishing Russian Dip was when Alex's sister made it. It wasn't like anything I'd had before. Because it's made with corned beef (Which I will post about too), and since Tuesday I'd made corned beef for St. Patrick's Day, I decided to use the leftover beef to make dip. However, I discovered that corned beef, if you buy it raw, shrinks quite a bit and has a fair amount of fat. It's also pretty tough if you don't cook it low and super slow. So after cutting off the fat, and making a meal out of it, I didn't have enough left. I went down to the store and got some roast beef deli slices and used that as well. They do sell corned beef in a spam-shaped can (don't get the stuff with hash in it), but my fresh stuff was very yummy. I halved the recipe and that much dip goes well with the amount of bread I made, so I'll post the halved recipe here. You can easily double it if needed.

Ravishing Russian Dip

Ingredients:
16 oz. cooked corned beef
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. dried dill
1 c. sour cream
1 c. mayo

Place corned beef cubes/ slices into a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Mix all other ingredients together. Stir in meat. Chill and serve with rye or pumpernickel bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment