Thursday, October 8, 2015

Asian Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles

Asian food definitely isn't my strong point- it's probably my weakest. But I still love Asian food, and since it's hard to get Asian-American food at a restaurant without it being dunked in sugar sauce, every once in a while I take a crack at it at home. My meatballs were a little dry in this recipe; I think the mushrooms soaked up at lot of moisture from the pork, making them dry. I'd suggest maybe adding eggs to the meatball mixture if you'd like. Since I'm still having issues with eggs I didn't do that.

First, take some baby bella mushrooms, about 3 handfuls, and wash them, dry them, and put them through the food processor/Ninja. You will need about 2 cups of pulverized mushrooms for this recipe.


Meatballs

1 lb. ground pork
1.5 c. pulverized baby bella mushrooms
1/2 c. green onions, washed and chopped
1/2 small red onion, pulverized
1 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp. soy sauce (I used Bragg's Liquid Amino's)
1 Tbsp. minced garlic (the stuff in the squeeze bottle makes my life so much easier)

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix all ingredients. I like to use food grade gloves to mix it all with my hands. Line a baking pan with either oiled foil, parchment paper, or a silpat mat. Roll your meatballs into 1 inch diameter balls and space equally apart on the baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for about 15 minutes, or until no pink remains inside.

Sauce and Veggies

1/2 red onion, sliced
1/2 c. pulverized mushrooms
1 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sriracha (chili garlic sauce)
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 packet sweetener
2 zucchini, peeled and julienned
1 c. shredded carrots
2 tsp. guar gum
3/4 c. chicken broth
1 squirt of orange or pineapple water flavoring
2 c. napa cabbage, shredded

Saute mushrooms, onions, carrots, and garlic in some olive oil (No EV) or butter. Add rice vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha, sweetener, chicken broth, and water flavoring. Let simmer until onions are translucent. Add zucchini, cooked meatballs, and cabbage. Stir until cabbage wilts and zucchini is soft. Add guar gum to thicken. Serve with sriracha sauce on the table for those who like it spicy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment