Monday, January 19, 2015

Welcome to my blog!

This will mostly be about low carb food and the challenges that go along with the low carb lifestyle. I plan to post recipes that I try in order to rate them or share tips about them. I decided to name it "Ghosts of Pasta Past" because I was a terrible carb addict. I loved chips, popcorn, bread, baked goods, and especially pasta. I could eat pasta every day. I loved fettuccine, spaghetti, orzo, farfalle, rotini, capellini, penne, and everything in between.

I've been on a low carb diet since the first of the year (2015) and I don't plan to cheat or give up. I've been overweight my whole life, and this is my first foray into any sort of "diet" besides simple calorie counting. I have lost 10 pounds in 19 days, and while this diet may be challenging, it's worth it. Cheating just makes you feel like crap, and you always instantly regret it. I've found that making delicious homemade food helps 100% when it comes to feeling satisfied. I refuse to eat stuff that tastes like cardboard, so you can be assured that nothing bad-tasting will ever be posted by me. Cooking with dietary restrictions is definitely a challenge, but it is a fun one. I love a good challenge. It's what makes a good cook a great one.

If anyone is interested, here are my "stats". I'm 5' 2", 21 years old, and right before beginning this diet I was 165 pounds. Now that may not seem like so much, but I'm short, and it shows. A 5 lb. gain or loss shows on me fairly easily. I've lived a mostly sedentary lifestyle; never really been into sports (watching or playing). My bad cholesterol (LDL) is high, and my triglycerides are elevated. Luckily I have high HDL, or good cholesterol, to balance it out but it's still not acceptable. I was tired of being tired, sick of having aching joints and a hurting back, and fed up with being fat. It creeps up on you. Often you don't notice it until you can't fit into half your wardrobe, especially if you wear loose clothing. So, if this sounds something like you, please join me on the journey to health. We can do it one yummy recipe at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment