Thursday, December 15, 2016

Velvety Portobello Mushroom Soup

I recently had some Trader Joe's Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup. It was condensed, so I added some water and cream. It was delicious, but a little high in carbs. So I decided to make my own. I'm having my wisdom teeth (all 4!) out tomorrow, so I figured I should make some smooth soup while I'm able.

Velvety Portobello Mushroom Soup


Ingredients:
1 32 oz. container Trader Joe's Low Sodium Organic Chicken Broth
1 32 oz. container Pacific Organic Mushroom Broth
16 oz. heavy whipping cream
~11 large portobello mushroom caps, washed, dried, and diced
4 oz. butter (1 stick)
2/3 c. Cabernet Sauvignon (I used The Path brand found at Wegmans- $6!)
1 Tbsp. Thyme
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. onion powder [OR 1/2 an onion sauteed with mushrooms]
1 6 oz. jar artichoke hearts, quartered and marinaded (I only added this much but you can add more if you wish!)
salt and pepper to taste


Melt butter in a large pan. Add all spices and some salt and pepper. Add mushrooms (a little at a time if necessary) and sautee until reduced a bit. Add wine and artichokes. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of the mushroom broth. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Heat the rest of the broths in a large soup/stock pot. When the mushrooms are soft and have reduced in size significantly, add the mixture into the soup pot. Using a hand blender, blend until smooth. Add the cream and blend again. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment