Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Sausages and Veggie of Choice (15 minute meal template)

I love sausages because they come in a variety of different shapes, sizes, flavors, and textures. They're also very quick to prepare. The other night I paired a thick sausage with some steamed green beans tossed with butter and salt and pepper. You can pair sausages with broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, salad, cabbage, you name it. They're super versatile. I didn't even have to boil water to steam the beans. I got them in a bag that you pop in the microwave (with a few punctures to the bag) and steam that way. It's super fast and all you have to do is watch your dinner cook itself basically. I always pan fry my sausages on the stove, turning when one side is brown.

I've grown to love green beans. When steamed (or boiled and quickly blanched in ice water), they retain their beautiful bright green color and their skin retains its snap. They are slightly sweet, and either a stone ground mustard-cream sauce or a simple lemon-butter-pepper sauce really bring out the flavors of the often overcooked bean. If you have a bit more time, you can saute the beans with a bit of butter, parmesan, and chopped garlic. Top with slivered almonds if you're feeling fancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment